Monday, February 7, 2011

Accident in Quartzite

Well, here is a blog I never thought I would write.  We left Phoenix Monday morning after the fabulous Packer Superbowl to go boondock in the desert for a couple days and see what all the fuss is about in Quartzsite.  I moved over on I-10 to give room to a DOT truck pulled over on the shoulder.  Moving back into my lane, the trailer started to sway.  I have felt this a couple times before, and it is scary.  This time I could not pull it out; the camper fishtailed and I watched it in my rearview mirror as it flipped over, coming to rest across both lanes of traffic with the truck upright, but hanging up in the air facing semis coming at us with a 75 speed limit.  Truly God was with us.  Everyone stopped; no one was hurt.  Once the tow truck got my truck back on the ground, I drove it away.  The camper is totaled.  The axle was so bent, they could not tow it; they had to load it on a flatbed.  Then we searched through it at the salvage yard, looking for a few pieces of our lives.   I found my computer as you can tell.  When the policeman asked what was of great value in the camper, I looked at my hand and said, “I must have forgotten to put on my wedding ring this morning.”  In the wreckage of the camper, I found the trinkets box I keep my jewelry in.  It had not spilled out.  The rest was jumbled, but there all alone in the top compartment was my wedding ring.  God put it there.
We are fine; no one else hit us.  A few aches are to be expected.  Tomorrow we will go shopping for a new camper—no more travel trailer though.  It will be a 5th wheel again like our first one.  We have been sorry since we bought this camper that we didn't realize how much more difficult travel trailers are compared to 5th wheels.  Quartzsite is an RV mecca.  There are at least eight RV dealers with big sale and clearance signs out, so we will look carefully.  We do need to clear our stuff out of the wreckage though soon.  The contents of the refrigerator are splattered all over everything.
I didn’t think to take pictures until the camper was pulled back on its wheels.
Thank God with us for keeping us safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment